The ABCP defines High-Fidelity Perfusion Simulation (HFPS) as the use of simulation modalities or mechanisms to create a realistic patient model or perfusion situation. HFPS must be an interactive process facilitated by ABCP certified perfusionists (CCPs) using standardized medical simulation devices that integrate realistic perfusion events experienced during cardiopulmonary bypass procedures in a realistic surgical setting using a conventional heart-lung machine or ECMO circuit. HFPS will utilize computerized simulation modalities or scenarios that are controlled or programmed by a CCP external to the perfusionist. These functions may be altered by a Simulation Facilitator as an interactive result of learner actions.
Beginning with the 2014-2015 recertification cycle, High Fidelity Perfusion Simulation (HFPS) was added as a secondary perfusion activity following collaboration with the ABCP Liaison Panel representatives. For a HFPS case credit to be awarded to a CCP, the administering HFPS Center will be required to be recognized by the ABCP as having met the criteria that is deemed essential for receiving HFPS case credits. It is the CCCP's responsibility to verify that the simulation center has met the ABCP requirement for case credits. This can verified by going to the ABCP website under Simulation Information or by calling the ABCP National Office.
ABCP Simulation Case Credit for the CCP Requirements:
- The CCP may choose to attend any ABCP recognized Simulation Center of his/her choice.
- A maximum of 15 simulated clinical cases may be used per reporting year.
- Each interactive HFPS simulation or series of HFPS simulations must include an education/briefing session, simulation session and debriefing session.
- The simulation/simulation series length must be no less than fifty (50) minutes of active simulation activity. One (1) case credit is awarded for every HFPS activity that meets or exceeds these guidelines.
- After the simulation event, simulation participants must submit Simulation Case Verification and Evaluation Form to the ABCP to be eligible for case credits or CEU's.
- For auditing purposes, each HFPS simulation participant must retain an evaluation form for 3 years for each simulation case credit event.
- Simulation for case credit can only be used for recertification, not for initial certification.
Simulation Case Verification and Evaluation Form (web-based form) - This form may be filled out and submitted online. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will provide instructions as you complete the process. You will need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free software) in order to complete the web-based form and submit it online. Click here to download the free software.
Simulation Case Verification and Evaluation Form (Excel form) - This form may be downloaded and completed using Microsoft Excel. You will need to email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.